Let's Talk About...Teeth Chattering

I don't know how many other people with TMD experience teeth chattering. For me, it's becoming increasingly more distracting and it's definitely getting worse. While having all my molars on the left side of my mouth behave like a pair of haunted castanets may sound whimsical, turns out, it's not that much fun.

Aside from the fact that having constant percussion in my skull leads me to daydream of in-depth tango numbers at really inconvenient times (curse you, natural rhythm!) it also worries me.

I'm afraid of cracking a tooth. If the chattering is this bad now and I'm only thirty-four...how bad will it get later? Will I have to take up late-stage break-dancing to make the shaking look intentional?

So far, I've had two rounds of Botox injections on the left side of my face and in my mouth and ear to help with this. It's been extremely effective. It cuts the chattering down to a minimum where I don't really notice it unless I'm in a long conversation with someone, I'm eating or when I go to sleep at night and it clacks my splints together.

I'd highly recommend Botox injections for teeth chattering. It also really helps me with ear flutters, ear pain, neck spasms and eye pain. The shooting pains that go through my neck and up to my eye are debilitating. They absolutely stop me in my tracks. After the Botox takes effect, I almost never have these shooting pains. For me, they start to show up again at around the two month mark after the Botox takes effect.

I should warn you, it's expensive and insurance doesn't cover it. But if there's any way you can swing it, I think it's an absolute must and a real life-changer.

Comments

Popular Posts