Meet Fellow TMD Thriver and Survivor...Lori McCaskill

Hey Everyone,
I'm extra excited about today's post, because I think it will give you a lot of hope if you're in the throes of your symptoms. Lori and I used to work together at Titanic: The Artifact Exhibition in Orlando, Florida. She is a talented, funny and energetic actress.
Not only that, but she was always a kind and affirming presence backstage. When you watch her perform, you'd never guess there was a time in her life when she struggled to speak. She has some really great words of encouragement and advice. (We recently learned we visit the same doctor to treat our TMD!)
1. When were you first diagnosed with TMJ/TMD?
My dentist determined that I was a "teeth grinder" in 2000, and I was fitted for my first occlusal splint (night guard), for my top teeth only. My grinding turned into "clenching," and I started experiencing pain between my jaws and temples.
2. How was it interfering with your work and personal life? My conditioned progressed to the point where my jaw "locked up," and I was unable to open my mouth any wider than my pinky finger without extreme pain. At that point, my dentist referred me to Central Florida Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery PA, where I was diagnosed with TMD (Temporomandibular Disorder), which refers to a variety of conditions that affect TM joints, jaw muscles and facial nerves. I was placed on a couple of medications, and fitted for two splits (one for my upper teeth, one for my lower) which promotes "gliding" instead of clenching.
3. What do you wish you had known about it at the time of your diagnosis? That it's something that won't "just get better" on its own. Early diagnosis and treatment is the best way to get a handle on the situation.
4. How long did it take you to recover to the point that you could get back to your regular life and routine? I was on the prescription anti-inflammatories/pain relievers on and off for a few months, and continue to take the muscle relaxers before bedtime. The majority of the pain was gone within the first year, but I have to be diligent with wearing my splints and not eating hard or chewy foods that cause flare-ups.
Lori and I goofing around in costume.
5. What would you tell someone who suspects they might have TMD but is too scared to see a doctor? The pain and immobility won't "just go away" on its own, but you don't have to be miserable all the time - there are proven treatment plans and professionals out there who are able to offer you relief.

It won't happen overnight, or improve immediately, but trust the process and be diligent with the treatment plan and you WILL experience relief!

Comments

Popular Posts